shediac tourism

shediac cottage shediac chalets shediac cottage

Town of Shediac / Ville de Shediac

Main Page 
Page principale
General Information 
Renseignements 
History 
Historique 
Things to do 
Chose à  faire 
Photo
Photo
Links
Liens
Contact us 
Nous rejoindre

Shediac.com is a privately owned site.
Click here to visit the Town of Shediac Official Website

Shediac.com est un site privée.
Clickez ici pour le site officiel de la Ville de Shediac

http://www.acadian-home.org/shediac.html
http://www.shediac.org/en/hall/history.html

Régis Brun has written a book on Shediac's history.

http://www.acadian-home.org/shediac.html
http://www.shediac.org/fr/hotel/historique.html

Régis Brun a écrit un livre sur l'historique de Shédiac.

A town rich in history and culture, Shediac was the site of the first shipbuilding yard and the first steam sawmill in New Brunswick, as well as the first passenger railroad in the Maritimes.

As you can see from the following aerial photos, Shediac has changed quite a bit over the past years.

La Ville de Shediac est riche en histoire et culture. Shediac est l'emplacement du premier chantier de construction de bateau et du premier moulin à vapeur du Nouveau-Brunswick.

Ces photo aériennes aériennes démontrent comment la Ville de Shédiac a changée durant les dernières années.

Native tribes inhabited the Maritimes more than 10,000 years ago. The Micmac encampment of Es-ed-ei-ik was one of the major camps in southeast New Brunswick. The Micmac word  Es-ed-ei-ik , which means "running far in", has become Shediac.  

Archeological sites dating before the presence of white man were discovered on Shediac Island and at the mouth of the Shediac River by archeologists Ganong and Wintemberg at the turn of the century.  The artifacts found suggest that a structured, heirarchical society living off the land, hunting and maybe from crops, inhabited the area. Numerous bones found on Skull Island suggest that the small island might have been used as a cemetery and/or was the site of major battles. 

 

Les tribus indiennes habitaient les provinces maritimes plus de 10,000 ans passés.  Le campement Micmac Es-ed-ei-ik était un des plus important du sud-est du N.-B. Le mot Micmac Es-ed-ei-ik, voulant dire "courant loin en dedans", devient Shédiac.

Des sites archéologiques datant d'avant la présence de l'homme blanc furent découvert sur l'ile de Shédiac et à l'embouchure de la rivière Shediac par des archéologues.  Les objets découverts suggèrent qu'une socièté structurée vivant de la terre, de la chasse et possiblement de la moisson, habitaient la région.  Des ossements découverts sur "Skull Island" suggèrent que l'ile aurait pu être un cimetière ou un lieu d'une bataille importante.

During the war between France and England, the French built a fort, several houses and warehouses to resupply the troops on Gédaïque River. Gédaïque eventually was spelled Shédiac but today the name is often seen without the accent.  When the Town of Shediac incorporated the accent was ommited for some reason. Many in the community would like the spelling to keep it's french influence by re-introducing the accent on the letter e.  Shediac Bay was a crossroad between the Bay of Fundy, then called the Bay of French, and the Mer Rouge (Red Sea or what is now called the Northumberland Strait) and provided access to the Petitcodiac River, the Shediac River and the Scoudouc River.

When referring to Shediac, or La Batture as it was also known, Shediac included all the communities surrounding Shediac Bay from Cocagne to Barachois.  To this day the word Shediac is still used by many acadians to describe the entire Shediac Bay area.

During the great acadian deportation, a French officer, Charles Deschamps de Boishébert, with the support of the Micmacs took  600 Acadian refugees south of Cocagne Bay during the winter of 1755-56.   A few years later, around 1768-69, some Acadians settled in the area now known as Shediac Cape . When the English settlers arrived to claim their concessions, the first one being William Hanington in 1785, many Acadians had to leave their land but some were allowed to stay. In 1787, the Acadians were granted land in Grande-Digue and then in 1791, in the area that is today as the municipality of Shediac.

 

Pendant la guerre entre la France et l'Angleterre, les français contruirent des forts, maisons et entrepots pour approvisionner les troupes sur la rivière Gédaïque. Le mot Gédaïque devint Shédiac mais de nos jours on voit souvent Shediac. Lorsque la Ville de Shediac s'est incorporée l'accent semble avoir disparu du nom.  Plusieurs aimeraient que l'accent revienne dans le nom Shediac pour respecter l'apport français au nom. 

La Baie de Shédiac était un lien entre la Baie de Fundy anciennement appelé Baie Française et la Mer Rouge (Détroit de Northumberland) et donnait accès par la rivière Petit-Codiac, rivière Shédiac et la rivière Scoudouc.

On se référait à Shédiac, ou La Batture qui incluait tous les communautés autour de Shédiac allant de Cocagne à Barachois.  Encore aujourd'hui plusieurs acadiens utilisent le mot Shédiac pour décrire la région entourant la Baie de Shédiac.

 

Durant le grand dérangement, un officier français, Charles Deschamps de Boishébert, avec l'aide des Micmacs emmena 600 acadiens au sud de la Baie de Cocagne durant l'hiver 1755-56.  Quelques années plus tard aux alentours de 1768-69, quelques acadiens s'installèrent à ce qui est maintenant Shediac Cape.  Lorsque les anglais arrivèrent pour prendre possession des terres qu'on leur donnait, le premier étant William Hanington en 1785,  la plupart des acadiens ont du quitter leurs terres mais quelques-uns ont la permission de rester.  En 1787, les acadiens recoivent des terres à Grande-Digue et en 1791 dans la région où se situe la Ville de Shediac.

 

 

The history of the Town of Shediac is closely linked to transportation. The second railway line in the Maritime Provinces , inaugurated in 1857, connected Pointe-du-Chêne, Moncton and Saint John. The first ferry service to PEI in 1858 linked Shediac to Summerside. The first transatlantic hydroplane flight from Europe to North America landed in Shediac in 1927. In July of 1933, an air fleet commanded by the Italian General Italo Balbo crossed the Atlantic and landed in Shediac Harbour.

Pan-American Clipper planes stopped in Shediac between 1937 and 1939, with onboard such celebrities as Greta Garbo, Bob Hope and Edward G. Robinson, as well as Queen Wilhemina of the Netherlands. .

The nearby Pointe-du-Chene wharf  was instrumental in the fishing industry, exportation of potatoes and forestry.

Shediac's first shipyard was inaugurated in 1817. The  first steam sawmill on the Scoudouc River goes back to 1845. By 1871 the sawmill employed 75 workers. The sawmill was destroyed by the great Saxby Gale of 1873.  

 

    L'histoire de la Ville de Shediac est étroitement liée aux transports. La deuxième voie ferrée des provinces maritimes, inauguré en 1857, reliait Pointe-du-Chêne, Moncton et Saint Jean.  Le premier traversier pour IPE en 1858 reliait Shédiac et Summerside.  Les premiers hydravions a traversé l'océan atlantique entre l'Europe et l'Amérique du nord arrrêtent à Shédiac en 1927.  Et en juillet 1933, le général italien Balbo et ses avions arrêtait dans la Baie de Shédiac.

Plusieurs figures célèbres dont Greta Garbo, Bob Hope, Edward G.Robinson et la reine Wilhemina sont aussi venus à Shédiac entre 1937 et 1939.


Le quai de la Pointe-du-Chêne joua aussi un role important dans l'industrie de la pêche, l'agriculture et les produits forestiers.

Le premier chantier de construction de bateaux date de 1817. Le premier moulin à scie à vapeur sur la rivière Scoudouc date de 1845.  Par 1871 ce moulin employait 75 travailleurs. Le moulin fut détruit par une tempête en 1863. 

MEN OF LETTERS

 Senator Pascal Poirier (1852-1933) was the first Acadian to hold such a distinguished position. He was a  nationalist who wrote many works including an uncompleted glossary of  Acadian French words still considered to be a reference on the cultural and linguistic origins of the Acadians.

Placide Gaudet (1850-1930),  originally from the parish of Cap-Pelé was one of the first genealogist and historian of this region. He wrote a history of the Acadians and more than 200 other works.

Dr. John Clarence Webster (1863-1950) was a pioneer in obstetrics. He taught at McGill University in Montreal and later accepted the chair of obstetrics at the University of Chicago. He came back to Shediac to retire at the age of 51.  He wrote a treatise on genealogy in America. He was is said to be responsible for the restoration of Fort Beauséjour and other historical sites.

Israël J. D. Landry was the founder of, Le Moniteur Acadien,  the first French language newspaper in the Atlantic provinces published in Shédiac in 1867.

Hommes de lettres

Le sénateur Pascal Poirier (1852-1933) est le premier acadien à obtenir un poste aussi distingué. Il était un nationaliste qui a aussi écrit un glossaire des mots acadiens qui est encore de nos jours utilisé comme référence culturelle et linguistique sur les origines des acadiens.

Placide Gaudet(1850-1930), originaire de la paroisse de Cap-Pelé, a été un des premiers généalogue et historien de cette région. Il a écrit un historique des acadiens et plus de 200 ouvrages.

Dr. John Clarence Webster (1863-1950) a été un pionnier en "obstétrique". Il enseigna à l'Université McGill de Montréal pour ensuite accepter une chaire en obstétrique à l'University of Chicago. Il revint à Shédiac pour sa retraite à l'age de 51. Il a écrit un document sur la généalogie. Il est un des responsable pour la restauration du Fort Beauséjour et autres sites historiques.

IsIsraël J. D. Landry fonda le Moniteur Acadien, premier journal français des provinces atlantiques. Ce journal fut publié à Shédiac en 1867.

Send us your stories or announcements               Envoyez-nous vos histoires ou commentaires:



If you need a reply, please provide your email address         N'oubliez pas d'inclure votre courriel/email

email/courriel:     

© 2006 Shediac.Com